The Foundation Tip That Changed My Makeup Game

The Foundation Tip That Changed My Makeup Game

I always dreaded crowded or hot places because once I started sweating my makeup seemed to glide right off my face. My foundation also sat on my face instead of being an extension of my face. I spent hundreds of dollars on foundations and setting powders in the hopes that I would be able to avoid a foundation mishap outside. Setting powders helped for a bit, but it did not give me the flawless look I so desperately wanted to have. It wasn’t until I discovered this makeup tip that my makeup game took a complete 180!

The commonly accepted way of applying makeup is wearing Primer, Foundation/concealer then Powder. But what if I told you I apply my foundation as Primer, Powder then Foundation.

Foundationtip

I know I sound crazy,  I thought it was completely crazy at first. Why would anyone wear powder before foundation? I actually discovered this technique from a video by Wayne Goss on YouTube. Wayne Goss is a makeup artist who gives a lot of unorthodox advice about makeup which actually works. Once I started using this tip my makeup does not budge. I live in Nigeria which is basically summer 24/7 and even in this very hot weather my makeup does not budge. This technique also made my makeup appear more smooth and flawless which is a double plus!

First Step – Prime

GOSH

Moisturise your skin and apply a pump or two of primer all over your face. I use GOSH Velvet Touch Foundation Primer.  Primer is a really good makeup product that will allow your foundation look more smooth because it fills in your pores. Instead of having the foundation sit on your face, the primer will give the foundation an even base to work with. If you have dry skin, this step is very important for avoiding a cakey makeup look.

Second Step – Powder

powder.jpg

Using a powder brush, apply a light coat of powder all over your face. The more coverage the powder has, the better because this means you will not need to use a lot of foundation in the next step. The powder fills in the lines in your skin and allows the base for the foundation to be smooth and actually settle as opposed to gliding and sliding everywhere. I’ve been using Mac Studio Finish powder in NC 55.

Third Step – Foundation

foundation.jpg

Because you applied powder before which has a bit of coverage, you will notice that you do not need a lot of foundation in this step. I literally only need 2-3 pumps of foundation at most. Which is great because I don’t like using a lot of foundation. I just apply a bit on a foundation brush and rub in circles all over my face till it is evenly applied! I’m using my all time favourite foundation Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless Foundation.

Final Step (Optional) – Powder

If you have oily skin or you just want more coverage, lightly apply powder on your T-zone or all over your face. Do not apply too much powder here to avoid your face looking cakey!

That’s it! I have been following this makeup tip consistently for a couple of months and my makeup game has seriously stepped up a notch. I no longer carry a powder to retouch my makeup throughout the day, I have minimal shine and my face looks more flawless. It was a truly life changing tip!

IMG_3958.jpg

I challenge you to try this tip for a few days and see how it fares. Thank me later. Or better yet, thank the makeup guru Wayne Goss!

Have you tried this tip?

Instagram ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest Twitter

This post contains affiliate links!

Share:

56 Comments

1. July 31, 2017 / 11:07 am

I have never heard of this before! Do you think it would work on dry skin?ox

• July 31, 2017 / 11:08 am

Yes it also works on dry skin! Just make sure you apply your primer first and skip the final powder step! Xx

• July 31, 2017 / 11:10 am

Okay thankyou, I will definitely give this a go!xo

• July 31, 2017 / 11:10 am

You’re welcome! 😘😘

2. July 31, 2017 / 11:13 am

This is so strange eh πŸ˜…πŸ˜… I remember once when I applied powder on my face before applying foundation, I hade to wipe it off and start all over again.

One of those days I’m home, I’d try this before trying it out πŸ˜€ let’s see this wondersπŸ˜‰

Beautiful pictures, Pearl

• July 31, 2017 / 11:19 am

Lmao I can imagine πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ It takes a bit of getting used to because it’s definitely not the normal way of doing makeup! But do try it again! It’s the only way I do my makeup now tbh, it has really helped with oil control and a smooth finish.

Thanks for the lovely comment dear πŸ’•πŸ’•

3. July 31, 2017 / 11:35 am

I am yet to try this tip, but after your step by step I am going to give it a go today! Sounds amazing x

• July 31, 2017 / 11:42 am

Oh yay tell me how it goes! I hope it works for you 😊 Thank you for commenting πŸ’•

4. July 31, 2017 / 11:53 am

Ooh, definitely going to check out Wayne Goss’ work – and can’t wait to try this out myself! x

• July 31, 2017 / 1:14 pm

Thank you! I hope it works as well as it did on me! Thank you for commenting ❀️❀️

5. July 31, 2017 / 12:32 pm

Oh wow never thought of powdering my face before applying foundation! Could definitely try this! Thank you xx

• July 31, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Please do, it’s such an amazing tip! Thank you for commenting! πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

• July 31, 2017 / 6:02 pm

I most definitely will!

6. myliron
    July 31, 2017 / 1:27 pm

Hey I have actually tried this trick before and if you are someone with really oily skin it works amazingly!
    Thanks heaps for reminding me of this tip. I be adding it to my makeup routine again😊

• July 31, 2017 / 5:00 pm

I’m glad I could help! It’s really good isn’t it? Thank you so much for the comment ❀️❀️

7. July 31, 2017 / 4:38 pm

I’ve been so intrigued by this tip for so long. And I’m always super scared to give it a try, but OMG, I need to try it.

• July 31, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Don’t be afraid to try it!! I don’t think you’ll regret it. It really does help! Thanks for the comment ❀️❀️

• July 31, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Ok, I’ll give it a go!

8. July 31, 2017 / 7:11 pm

I am going to have to try this because it quit possibly might change my life forever. I was just talking to my friend yesterday about no matter what foundation I wear, primer, powder, etc… my makeup always seems to oil up or like you said- slide off my face. I really want to try all the products you have listed too.

I needed this post girl!

xo

• August 1, 2017 / 2:40 pm

Thank you Courtney! I definitely relate to your struggle too! Do try out all these products and see if it helps also because some products may not be the best for oily skin! I hope it works for you. Thank you so much for commenting ❀️❀️

9. July 31, 2017 / 8:25 pm

I am definitely trying this! I think I had read an article on Twitter about that but apparently forgot to put it to the test… Fingers crossed it’ll work on my kind of oily skin!
    Great post xx

• August 1, 2017 / 2:40 pm

Fingers crossed for you too! I’ve heard many good things from other people who followed this method so I hope it works for you too πŸ’•πŸ’•

10. July 31, 2017 / 10:05 pm

Interesting tip Pearl! I’ve never thought of powder before the foundation step…I’ll give it a go sometime πŸ˜€

• August 1, 2017 / 2:41 pm

No problem Angela!! I hope it works for you as well as it did for me ❀️❀️

11. August 1, 2017 / 3:36 am

Omg I tried this and did not like it! I have oily skin and my makeup unfortunately looked so bad with this πŸ™ glad it works for you though! πŸ’–

• August 1, 2017 / 2:43 pm

Oh that sucks! Did you go lightly with the products (like the powder) or try a different product to see if it turned out better?

12. August 1, 2017 / 2:00 pm

Lol you been asleep sis… this is a great hack…I use translucent powder as it is lighter and absorbs well. Great post.

• August 1, 2017 / 2:44 pm

Lmao I really have been sleeping girl! That’s a good tip! I could switch out my final powder step for the translucent one right?

13. August 1, 2017 / 2:37 pm

This is such a good tip yet also very strange, I would have never thought of powdering before applying foundation. I will have to try it out X

• August 1, 2017 / 2:44 pm

It’s very strange I can’t lie, but trust in it. Wayne Goss knows his stuff! I hope it works out for you dear πŸ’•πŸ’•

• August 4, 2017 / 9:20 am

• August 4, 2017 / 9:19 am

14. August 2, 2017 / 1:50 pm

Good tips! I also have very dry oily skin and sometimes it’s very anxiety-provoking wearing makeup in the summer!!!

• August 4, 2017 / 9:19 am

I feel your struggle! It’s so annoying to be honest but I’m glad I’ve found something that works πŸ’•πŸ’•

15. August 3, 2017 / 1:39 am

Your skin is flawless!
    I heard about this makeup tip from Jackie Aina first who mentioned she learned it from Wayne Goss. I love his makeup tips!
    What type of foundation do you recommend? I have a watery liquid foundation that is light build-able coverage and then a thick whipped foundation that is medium coverage. I have yet to try this because I’m not sure what foundations pairs well with powder.

• August 4, 2017 / 9:18 am

Thank you Carly! I think I’d recommend a watery liquid foundation for this one because that’s the one I’m currently using. I don’t have any issues pairing this foundation with the powder! Thank you so much for commenting πŸ’•πŸ’•

16. August 4, 2017 / 4:44 pm

I have the same issue, where foundation just kind of sits on my skin in a liquified state, and we have long, over 100Β° F summers. I haven’t worn “real” foundation for years because of it, but sometimes there’s a look where you want that base. I’ve never tried this though, I’ll have to give it a shot and see if it changes my life!

• August 8, 2017 / 7:59 pm

Thank you Gabrielle!!! I enjoy your blog very much too. I’ll check out the post <3 <3

• August 8, 2017 / 8:01 pm

Your welcome lovely ☺️ aw thank you! ❀❀

17. August 8, 2017 / 9:42 am

I’m going to Gran Canaria in a week and so nervous about wearing foundation over there so definitely going to test this out! Thank you for the tip πŸ˜„ Xo

18. August 10, 2017 / 10:24 pm

I have oily skin too and will definitely try this out! Thanks for the tip πŸ™‚

19. August 14, 2017 / 12:12 pm

I love Wayne Goss and I love you for posting this detailed foundation trick! I’m gonna try this tomorrow. Thank you! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

• August 14, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Thank you so much! I’m really glad you liked this post. I hope it works out for you ❀️❀️❀️

• August 14, 2017 / 12:20 pm

I’m gonna update you once I get to try this technique. πŸ’–

20. August 15, 2017 / 5:04 am

Great post! I will be trying this!

21. August 16, 2017 / 10:22 pm

So glad I came across this! I have super oily skin so I’m hoping this can help minimize that. I’ll definitely be trying it out soon. Are there any drugstore or high end powders that you’d recommend?

• August 18, 2017 / 7:56 pm

Hi! I would recommend for the high end powder Mac studio fixed pressed powder! It’s the only one I use and it works perfectly. Thanks for the lovely comment girl ❀️