The Mid Year Favourites Roundup: Books, Music, Movies and Makeup!

The Mid Year Favourites Roundup: Books, Music, Movies and Makeup!

We are officially in the middle of the year! 2017 has gone by so quickly and I can’t believe we are already here now. I feel like 2017 is this strange, transitional period that does not deserve to be a year. I have this strange thing about certain years, especially odd numbers. 2015 was one of those years.

I am doing something slightly different from the normal posts on my blog. I think it’s always good to branch out and try different things because you never know how it may be received. I love reading monthly favourites because it gives me a glimpse into people’s lives and what they’ve been into that month. I discover a lot of makeup brands, TV shows and even music that I want to try. So todays favourites will include other things I am interested in besides makeup! Enjoy!

MUSIC

iphone flatlayss.jpg

Music plays a big role in my life and certain songs have gotten me through special events (Shout out to J. Cole’s  Forest Hills Drive album for helping me in my undergraduate exam period). I listen to many genres of music but my favourites have included a lot of rap this year. Here they are:

•  The Art Of Peer Pressure – Kendrick Lamar
  •  Bad and Boujee – Migos
  •  T-Shirt – Migos
  •  IF – Davido
  •  Losing My Religion – R.E.M

BOOKS

Kindle Flatlay

I read one or two books a month on average and I have read a couple of books on my Kindle since the beginning of the year. These are the two books that I’ve really enjoyed reading…

lifechangingmagicoftidyingup.jpg

The Life Changing Magic Of Tidying Up

I read this book earlier this year and it really was life changing! I was a hopelessly messy person filled with clutter and shame but after a few months I can officially say that I am a tidy person with no more clutter in my life anymore. I love how the book doesn’t only tackle your clutter but it shows you how to prevent it from ever happening again. I really love my new clutter free self. It is an amazing book and definitely worth a read! I wrote an extended post about it here

Split second

split second.jpg

What if you could go back in time, but only for half of a second?

I am obsessed with the concept of time travel. I just find the scientific concepts surrounding time travel so intriguing. I always love to sit and imagine if time travel were possible. I also like to imagine the implications and paradoxes that we would encounter if it exists!

I read this book by Douglas E. Richards which addressed all my time travel questions. Half a second seems like an inconsequential amount of time but this book will clearly prove otherwise!

MAKEUP

flatlay makeup

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation

I haven’t said this on my blog yet but Maybelline is the best foundation I have ever used. It glides on like silk on your skin and gives a finishing that no foundation has yet to match. That is a hefty statement coming from me. The only con about Maybelline is that it does not last long! However, I always use a bullet proof setting powder so I have no issues with it. It is also extremely affordable. It is currently my daily foundation and Lancôme is my “event” foundation.

Dior Addict Lipgloss in “Angelique”

I have gone back to an “effortless” makeup style recently. I have been enjoying lip glosses A LOT recently and the Dior Addict lipstick has definitely been one of my favourite glosses! I did an extended review here.

TV & MOVIES

Interstellar

interstellar-ocean.jpg

I re-watched one of my favourite movies of all time and I was not disappointed! Interstellar is a movie about interstellar travel through space and time in an effort to help the dying human race find a new home. It’s beautifully written, directed and the film score is one of the best I have ever listened to in a movie. It’s the kind of movie that you will think about several days after it’s over because it’s SO good.

Bates Motel

batesmotel-season4artworks.jpg

This series is so low-key but so good. I don’t why it’s not popular! It is based on the 50’s novel “American Psycho” which shows how the complicated relationship between Norman Bates and his mother turns him from a loving, loyal son into a serial killer with dissociative identity disorder. They just finished the final season so now you can binge watch away!

Donald Trumps Presidency (As seen on CNN, aka fake news lmao )

donald-trump-grow-up

They say truth is stranger than fiction and I completely agree. I watch House Of Cards and I can officially say that what’s happening on TV is more outrageous than the show. I think Donald Trump’s Presidency is playing like a movie and its interesting to watch how his administration is imploding from within. From the battle with “Fake news” to the ongoing Russia investigation to cofveve, this presidency has been nothing short of strange and entertaining. Just when you think it can’t get worse, a new bomb shell drops and turns everything on its head. I will definitely be keeping up with Donald Trump in 2017.

That is it for my favourites! Thank you so much for reading. What have been your favourites this year?

Please follow me on my new Instagram specifically for my blog! <3

Instagram ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest Twitter

Share:

1. June 9, 2017 / 12:29 pm

Love this! I would love to read that book on tidying up. Seems like something I need!!

• June 9, 2017 / 12:32 pm

Thank you girl! It’s a really good book. One of the best purchases of this year. Thank you so much for commenting 💕💕

• June 9, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Oh thank you for the nomination! I’ll get around to it 💕💕

2. June 9, 2017 / 2:17 pm

I think Rem Losing My Religion wont ever get old. Its like one of the best tracks ever!

• June 9, 2017 / 2:26 pm

It really is! I actually discovered the song last year and it has been on repeat ever since! I love it. Thank you so much for commenting 💕💕

3. June 9, 2017 / 4:23 pm

oh wow! never been used maybelline fit me! but it seems like a fantastic product))
    love the pics! do you use any app to edit them? or are they just that gorg on their own?

• June 9, 2017 / 5:01 pm

It’s one of the best! 🙌🏾🙌🏾 and I use an app on my MacBook called Photoscape-X

4. June 9, 2017 / 5:16 pm

The Maybelline fit me foundation is one of my favourites too!! So cool to hear other people loving it! xo <3

• June 9, 2017 / 6:16 pm

Yeah girl I absolutely love it! I have been using it for over 3 years and I am yet to be disappointed. Thank you so much for commenting <3 <3

5. June 9, 2017 / 6:22 pm

I’ve been wanting to read The Life Changing Magic Of Tidying Up for so long! Also, I’m a massive fan of bates motel too!! xx

• June 9, 2017 / 8:54 pm

You should soon, you definitely won’t regret it! Im so glad I read this book tbh I’m actually a changed woman now 😂😂
      And Bates Motel is so good I’m glad someone likes it too. Thanks for commenting girl 💕💕

Pearl|| https://thepearlylife.wordpress.com

• June 9, 2017 / 10:54 pm

You’re very welcome! I started following the author and tried to use her tips for around my bedroom, but I unfortunately never lasted that long! Hopefully the book will give me some motivation! xx

• June 10, 2017 / 9:12 am

Oh no it’s very difficult to declutter by just following the tips online. Majority of them are incorrect when I even checked. The best thing to do is to get the book, that will be the push you need! 💕💕

6. June 9, 2017 / 6:27 pm

Agreed…2017 has gone by so quickly! I laughed at the Donald Trump presidency commentary. Everything that’s happened is quite surreal (in a bad way)….you’re right I don’t think TV producers could come up with this level of content. I live in DC so it’s literally a new story and joke to make every single day hahah.

• June 9, 2017 / 8:59 pm

Haha Donald Trump is the most entertaining thing to happen to TV in a long time. So glad I’m alive to witness this mess 😭
      And omg you live in DC? That sounds amazing I can’t imagine what it must be like living there now. I wonder how small talk goes with strangers now, instead of talking about the weather it’s probably about Donald trump. 😭😂😂

Thanks for the lovely comment girl 💕💕

• June 9, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Yes haha right near the White House and the center of it all. I went to school in DC and stayed for work. It’s quite amazing, most people here (other than the people who came to work for him) don’t like him either so we all can bond over that. There was a funny article yesterday that DC people watched the Comey hearings like the rest of the country watches the Superbowl lolol. You nailed it. <3 Small talk in DC is basically politics and jobs hahah.

• June 10, 2017 / 9:09 am

That’s so cool! I would love to visit D.C. one day. It seems like a really professionally district 💕💕
          Loool yes I read stuff about the Comey trails too. I’m not surprised it was like the Super Bowl 😭 Apparently bars opened early for viewings and had made special cocktails in honor of the hearing 😂😂 so insane.

7. June 9, 2017 / 7:05 pm

Mid year favorites are the best!!! I love that Maybelline Foundation tooxx

• June 9, 2017 / 8:59 pm

Thank you girl! I agree this foundation is just amazing! ❤️❤️

8. June 9, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Love interstellar!! One of my favourite movies of all time😊 The music composed for it is absolutely amazing❤

• June 9, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Yassss I’m glad you feel the same way 🙌🏾🙌🏾 I sat in my bed replaying the film score for the movie one million times after watching it 😭
      But I still listen to it today cause it’s sooo good 😍

• June 9, 2017 / 10:37 pm

Oh my gosh same!! Everytime I finish watching the film I’m like addicted to the soundtrack! It’s ok❤

• June 10, 2017 / 9:09 am

Same! Kendrick Lamar is just an amazing artist tbh 💕

9. June 9, 2017 / 10:54 pm

I loved this Pearl!! I love that you’re branching out and writing more ‘lifestyle’ and ‘favourite’ posts! It’s a great way to know you better 🙂
    I have been dying to get my hands on that Kondo book for weeks now, but I always miss out at the library. I’ll have to try again this weekend 😀 My house is such a cluttered mess XD

• June 10, 2017 / 9:11 am

Thanks Angela ❤️❤️ You definitely won’t regret it! It’s an amazing book and when you’re done you won’t even recognize your self anymore 😂😂
      Thanks for the lovely comment ❤️

10. June 10, 2017 / 1:07 am

OMG OMG OMG !!!! So much to love here b first off, love this post, might try it myself. Second, I loveeee reading too (I try to read 1 book a week, I haven’t gotten into audio books yet, mainly because I listen to soooo many podcast).
    Also, I LOVEEEEE Interstellar! Literally is so fascinating and it really makes you think about this big world we live in and all the beauty inside and outside of our own understanding! Makes you really appreciate life a whole lot more!!

Great post Sis! 💖

• June 10, 2017 / 9:16 am

OMG girl how do you read a book once a week? Can you teach me? 😭😭
      I know right!! This universe is so mind blowing when you think about it. When you realize how small and insignificant you are compared to the billions of other planets, stars and galaxies it really puts things into perspective!

Thanks for the lovely comment hun 💕💕

• June 10, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Haha, I think I only read books I’m really interested in so I am always so eager to keep reading, but also, I read a few chapters a day (usually in the morning while on the treadmill).
        & so true! I don’t know if it makes me feel small or insignificant, I kinda feel special, lol. Chosen to enjoy this side of the universe for this moment with other people who were chosen just like me 🤗💖

11. June 10, 2017 / 4:57 am

That’s how I feel about the presidency as well lol. Maybelline FitMe Foundation is probably the only foundation I would use, it works great. I’ve been loving a bath and bodys spray called “pink jasmine sea side” and Italian fig by the body shop. For books I’m reading the lovely bones and after milk and honey by rupi kaur. For dessert, I’ve been loving the double crust apple pie from sprouts bakery, so yummy. Lastly make-up I love all eyes on me by essence cosmetics and acure’s red clay mask :).

• June 10, 2017 / 9:19 am

That’s great to know you like Maybelline too! It’s so good! And I would love to read the milk and honey book I’ve heard so many good things about it. Also would love to try the Apple pie! That sounds so delicious!
      Thanks for the comment 💕💕

• June 11, 2017 / 1:08 am

anytime 🙂 and yeah it’s beautifully written. if you like poetry you should try reading iwrotethisforyou it’s beautiful as well.

12. June 10, 2017 / 10:18 am

Davido’s song is always on auto repeat on my playlist. Glad you like it too…xx

• June 10, 2017 / 6:52 pm

It’s so catchy isn’t it! Thanks for the comment girl 💕💕

13. June 10, 2017 / 11:16 am

What a great post. I love everything Kendrick does and Losing my Religion is one of my all-time faves. I NEED that book about decluttering and omg it was so funny that you added Donald Trump at the end there. At least there’s humour amongst all the destruction! Xo

• June 10, 2017 / 6:54 pm

Hahaha “humour amongst the destruction” 😂😂 I guess laughing is our best coping mechanism right now!
      Thank you so much for the lovely comment I’m glad you liked the post 💕💕

14. June 13, 2017 / 6:38 pm

I ordered the life changing Magic Of Tidying Up since last year but haven’t been able to read it. That’s because I order thousands of books at the same time and have a super long reading list 🌚🌚. This post makes me want to bump it up to the top of the list because it’s so needed!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

15. June 17, 2017 / 5:08 pm

Loved these favs! They’re some of mine as well!
    Looking forward to your future content.
    Stop by my space sometime,
    Mena