My Guide To The Perfect Nude Lipstick

My Guide To The Perfect Nude Lipstick

There are two lipstick colors I love the most; red and nude. They are versatile, timeless and can go with almost any look you have. It has taken a number of years and a lot of trial and error but I believe I now have a great collection of nude lipsticks which are affordable and very unique!

Choosing A Nude Lipstick

When embarking on a journey on finding the perfect nude lipstick, it’s good to have an idea on what sort of nude look you are going for. I get inspiration for my nude lipstick styles from makeup artists on Instagram and television.

No nude lipstick is the same.  There are lipsticks with brown undertones and pinkish undertones, creamy and matte finishes and a variety of prices. I love all types of nudes so I try to incorporate all styles into my makeup collection!

Getting Practical

I would personally say that “finding my skin undertone” with regards to lipstick colour has never worked for me. I don’t have a set undertone in my skin, it’s just brown. This was very evident when I used MAC’s different foundation colours. “NW” foundations, which was meant for warm skin tones, was too red on my skin and “NC” which is mean for cooler skin tones, was too yellow!

What I would suggest is to go to a makeup counter or drugstore like MAC or Boots, try on the first nude lipstick on your arm or lips, and take note of what is off.

“Is it too light?” “Is it not brown or pink enough?” “Not Matte enough?” “Too Sheer?”

Taking notes will allow you to know what nude colour and shade works best on your skin tone so when ever you switch a brand you will have an idea of what nude colour or shade to turn to every time. This is because you will know what shade complements your skin color and what doesnt. Keep in mind that most nude lipsticks do not look finished when applied straight on! They usually need a lip liner to make it look better. So don’t run away from that light lipstick, just find a great lip liner for it!

I also love to have a wide array of different types of nude lipsticks, my 3 favourite nude lipsticks are a combination of matte and glossy finishes to brown and pinkish undertones. It just makes it fun so I never get bored of my lipstick!

MAC Cosmetics – Taupe

Taupe.jpg

mac look.jpg

This is one of my best nude lipsticks. It is described as a muted, reddish taupe brown. It applies smoothly and has a creamy matte finish. It appears like a pinkish-brown nude on my lips and it is very long wearing! I always pair it with my favourite MAC lip liner, Bittersweet. Although MAC lipsticks are a high end, they are high quality so it is definitely worth buying!

MILANI Colour Statement Lipstick – Teddy Bare

Teddybare.jpg

MILANI LOOK.jpg

This nude lipstick is comparable to MAC. It is one of the best and affordable drug store lipsticks! It is super creamy. It’s not a completely matte formula but it is not too shimmery or glossy. It appears light pink on my lips and it is also so affordable at less than £6 compared to £23 for MAC!

NYX Lip Lingerie – Beauty Mark

lingerie.jpg

LINGERIE LOOK.jpg

I already did a detailed review of this liquid lipstick here! This lipstick is a muted matte brown that reminds me of Kylie Jenner’s True Brown liquid lipstick. It gives me that 90’s vibe feel whenever I wear it and I think it is such a beautiful shade! It is also very affordable at just £6.30 so I think it is definitely worth a buy.

What is your favourite nude on this list?

This post contains Affiliate links!

Instagram ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest Twitter

Share:

1. May 1, 2017 / 1:28 pm

This is such a gorgeous shade.

2. May 1, 2017 / 1:37 pm

I’ve been wanting to try the NYX lipstick. Couldn’t get my hands on it this weekend. Such a beautiful shade.

• May 1, 2017 / 2:50 pm

It really is amazing! I’m glad you like it, thanks for commenting! ❤️❤️

3. May 1, 2017 / 2:14 pm

I love all these nudes, but the Milani teddy bare in my opinion, is your perfect colour. The mix of the pink and brown tones, really compliments your skin, and I think that is how nudes should look on everyone. I agree with you, nudes and reds are my favourite. It’s rare for me to be wearing anything else! x

• May 1, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Yes that Milani is so perfect! I think it’s also amazing how affordable it is. It’s definitely a keeper. Also that’s cool how similar our lipstick styles are! What’s your favorite red lipstick?

• May 1, 2017 / 9:43 pm

I don’t really have a favourite – I always end up mixing them. I love Dubonnet from Mac which is a deep red, and Barry M no.121 which is brighter.

• May 1, 2017 / 10:05 pm

Oooh nice choices. I’ve never tried Dubonnet before! My current fave is Ruby Woo by Mac but I’m definitely on the hunt for an even deeper red. I think I’ll check Dubonnet out next time I’m at the Mac store

4. May 1, 2017 / 5:02 pm

You’re so good at finding a matching nude tone ! Those colors blend themselves perfectly with your skin ❤️ I was never able to find the right color for mine, I should give it another try someday 😊

• May 1, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Thank you so much! I definitely know how it feels to struggle to find the perfect Nude! Just be patient and keep an open mind for all brands and color types! I think you’ll definitely find your perfect shade someday! Thank you so much for commenting 💕

5. May 1, 2017 / 5:55 pm

The Lingerie lipsticks are the best for such a good price too!!! Love these nude shades on you!

• May 1, 2017 / 8:43 pm

Thank you so much for commenting! NYX is such a lifesaver. So many varieties and so cheap! I love it! 💕

6. May 1, 2017 / 10:27 pm

Great advice and gorgeous colours! I especially love nude shades of lipstick 😄😄

• May 2, 2017 / 7:24 am

Thank you so much! I’m glad you liked it!

💕💕

7. May 2, 2017 / 2:23 pm

Omg stop it! All those shades look AMAZING on you! I’m always drawn to nude shades that don’t fit me 🙁

• May 3, 2017 / 9:20 am

Haha thank you so much! I know how you feel girl, before I found these colors it was such an epic struggle to find nude lipsticks that actually fit me 😭

8. May 3, 2017 / 9:15 pm

I’m a big NYX and MAC fan. My nude NYX lingerie is honeymoon, give it a try. But I really love that beauty mark. I’m taking note of it. Next time I’ll try it.

• May 4, 2017 / 10:45 am

Oooo never tried that one either! I’ll definitely check it out when next I travel! Thank you for commenting! 💕💕

9. May 3, 2017 / 11:14 pm

I’m posting how I made my own nude lipstick shade using many different others tomorrow! I love your post by the way! 🙂

• May 4, 2017 / 10:48 am

Oooh that sounds interesting, I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it! Thank you so much for commenting! 😘😘

10. May 9, 2017 / 11:26 am

I love how you’ve put some bright flowers into your pictures, really makes the picture stand out, beautiful – Jess 🙂 x

11. May 23, 2017 / 4:58 am

Love the Milani shade! My personal favourite is a combination of Huda Beauty liquid lipstick in TRENDSETTER and Jeffree Star liquid lipstick in Celebrity Skin. They both end up becoming a perfect colour!

• May 23, 2017 / 6:35 am

I’ve been dying to get Huda and Jefferee star lipsticks! They look so beautiful, I can’t wait to buy it. I also never mixed shades of lipstick, I would also want to try that one day. Thank you so much for commenting! 💕💕

• May 24, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Oh you definitely need to buy these two brands! Their lipsticks are so so lovely!! Also, funnily I can nevvvver wear a lipstick on its own. I always have to mix colours haha!

12. July 24, 2017 / 7:19 pm

I’m so with you on the living a nude lip and a red lip. I’m also a massive Milani fan. Great options at a great price point!