The Quarter Life Crises

The Quarter Life Crises

You know how people experience a mid-life crisis when they’re in thier 30’s or 40’s and they start to wonder

“What am I doing with my life?”

Well, I was talking to a friend a while back and she told me that she feels like she’s letting life pass her by and she didn’t really enjoy her teen years. Now she’s twenty she wants to do all the things she never did because of the FOMO (Fear of missing out) and the fact that she’s entering the “real” world. It is kind of scary…and I can sort of relate.

It’s like we spend our whole lives looking forward to the future. Never really just enjoying the present moment. We are in primary school to get into secondary school, secondary school to university, university to a job. Until one day you’re 30, married with kids sitting down thinking.

How? Did I really enjoy the journey? When is my life supposed to feel like it should?

Because everything went by so quickly you never got a chance to savor it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to work towards a goal and look forward to the future but I think sometimes it’s okay to just sit back and enjoy that stage of life you are in. You may only get it once. You’re young for a really short time and an adult for the longest.

I realized that in some things in life the journey is more memorable and gratifying than the destination. Once you get what you wanted it’s a 5 second euphoria and then you’re like “Okay, what’s next?”. That’s how your teenage years or even adult years pass you by.

The “real” world is also scary because school is all I’ve ever known. How will I cope with never doing it again? Am I ready for it? Did I really make the right career choice?

These are serious questions. However I always try to have faith in the future and positive outlook. Obsessing over a future I can’t control is a waste of time. Why kill myself with worry? A positive outlook is not a very easy mindset to adopt but whenever I am stressed out I remember this bible passage:

(Mathew 6:25-27):

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

That being said pick up a good book, play the ukulele, go out, get some fresh air and just enjoy the moment.

Share:

1. July 7, 2016 / 1:53 pm

Reblogged this on Tiqvahblog and commented:
    “You’re young for a really short time and an adult for the longest” – THE PEARLY LIFE

2. July 7, 2016 / 1:55 pm

i loved it ! Some great points made, keep this up!

3. Voka
    July 8, 2016 / 9:04 am

Great Thoughts. But not to worry, that’s the way life has always been. No one has the answers. As the days role by the future brings with it the unexpected, laughter, joy and all. Though we cannot predetermine what situations come our way in life, the choices and decisions we consciously make moment by moment, day by day largely determine the general direction of our tomorrow.
    Therefore, let us be wise and be mindful of every choice that we make. They are crucial to tomorrow. The other thing is that when the unexpected shows up we must be prepared to ride through rough winds.

• July 13, 2016 / 6:45 pm

Very true, life is unexpected but the decisions we make today really do influence our tomorrow. I need to be more mindful of this.

Nice words daddy, thank you for commenting!

4. July 13, 2016 / 6:33 pm

Well said! Just recently I started to feel like I grew older “too fast”, and i totally agree that everything is going on really fast, especially with education. In my country, it is strongly encouraged to finish the university as soon as possible (and of course, if you pass all exams on time you will be supported financially as well), although the unemployment rate is huge, so I did it. And there was I, with a degree in my hands, but with no job, and feeling like I missed big part of my life. So yeah, we should enjoy the moments. Big like for your post!

• July 13, 2016 / 6:43 pm

Yes! Same here education is a really big deal where I’m from. I totally understand what you mean, I guess all we can do moving forward is just enjoy the little things in life before it passes us by.

Thank you so much for commenting! :*

5. April 14, 2017 / 5:10 pm

“You’re young for a really short time and an adult for the longest” UGH I LOVE THAT! it’s so true and people are in such a rush to grow up! Wish more people realized that!

• April 14, 2017 / 7:28 pm

Thank you! Now that I’m older I’m envying the little kids! They have nothing to worry about! But when I was their age I couldn’t wait to grow up. lol so ironic.

Thankyou so much for commenting

6. June 10, 2017 / 11:38 am

Amazing post, great writing! Can we be friends? lol!
    It really made me think honestly, most of the time I am asking myself If I’m really living or just floating. You’re so right that we’re young for a while but an adult for the longest time.. It’s actually scary.

• June 10, 2017 / 7:01 pm

Haha yes I could always use more friends 🙌🏾🙌🏾 and I totally feel you on the floating part. I guess the best we can do is to try to enjoy each moment as much as possible. Life is really what you make of it!
      ❤️❤️

• June 10, 2017 / 7:12 pm

Yay a new blogger friend! God is good ahaha. We must make every second count indeed! I want to get into planning so I can have a clearer sense of direction